Thursday, April 7, 2011

the times they are a-changin'

I just saw my cousin again for the first time in 5 years. It was really strange. I barely recognized him. And of course there was a lot of awkwardness, especially in the beginning.

Oh, and he's gay. Big change. I had my suspicions for a while, but actually seeing him set the record straight. He had really coiffed and styled hair, gold studs, a pink flannel, and a little sidebag. And he mentioned that he's dating a really great guy. This probably sounds like I dissaprove of him, but of course I don't! It's just a lot to get used to. The last time I saw him he was dating a really nice girl who was on his school's swim team. he's changed so much. It's just hard to wrap my head around.

Any way, the point of this blog was that it really made me realize how fast time flies. We reminisced about the good old days in new jersey. It seems like just yesterday that we were playing with spice girl barbies in his attic, putting on little plays like Annie, beauty and the beast, and Harry potter, and performing Britney spears dances for our relatives. And it's horrible that I've let 5 years slip by without making any effort to keep in touch with my own cousin. Family is so important. I realized that I really need to do a better job of spreading love and keeping in touch and so on.

I'm really proud of my cousin for embracing who he is and feeling so comfortable in his own skin. And he is so happy; I can tell. I hope one day I can find the same peace of mind that he has.

No comments:

Post a Comment